A $16 Million Investment About to Come Undone
The in is being torn down. The 74-unit tiny home village that opened in 2021 will be demobilized by the end of 2026, according to the office of City Councilmember .
The Sunflower Cabin Community in Tarzana, a 74-unit tiny home village funded with $16 million in public money, is set to be demolished by the end of 2026 as the city approves $1.7 million to tear it down.
The in is being torn down. The 74-unit tiny home village that opened in 2021 will be demobilized by the end of 2026, according to the office of City Councilmember .
The city approved up to $1.7 million in late April to dismantle the site rather than repair or convert it, according to the New York Post. Roughly $16 million in public money has been tied to the Tarzana location since it opened.
"The Sunflower Cabin Community was always meant to be temporary," Blumenfield's office said, according to CD3.
The site sits on Metro property near Reseda Boulevard and Oxnard Street. Residents will be relocated to other housing with services before the property is cleared, according to the councilmember's office.
The demolition in Tarzana comes as Mayor Karen Bass pushes forward with new tiny home projects across Los Angeles.
Construction began on a 51-unit tiny home village in Hollywood on Thursday, May 15, according to ABC7. Bass called the project "a significant step" in addressing homelessness.
"We need to have these sites in many more places around our city," Bass said at the groundbreaking, according to ABC7.
Bass has told reporters the city is eyeing municipal land for tiny homes and other quick builds ahead of the 2026 World Cup and the 2028 Olympics, according to a Bloomberg interview.
The State of California's Homekey program has awarded more than $3.8 billion to local governments for motel conversions and tiny home projects since 2020, according to the California Department of Housing and Community Development.
An investigation by CalMatters found that projects involving about 3,000 homes were not finished by the end of last year. Another 2,000 units had residents living in them temporarily but had not been converted into permanent housing.
City Administrative Officer Matthew Szabo has warned against demobilizing Homekey sites without long-term funding locked in, according to FOX 11. He cautioned that the city could end up with empty buildings or people pushed back onto the street.
Critics have questioned the spending. Reality TV personality Spencer Pratt called the Homekey spending a "grift machine," according to the New York Post.
The mayor's office has countered that street homelessness has fallen in recent years and highlighted a growing affordable housing pipeline, according to the mayor's press materials.
Housing advocates say the next stretch will show whether the city can turn short-term emergency purchases into lasting homes. Investigations by CalMatters and others underscore the need for audits and clearer accountability, according to their reporting.
City officials say they are coordinating re-housing for Tarzana residents at the Sunflower site. The $1.7 million demolition budget was approved by the Homelessness and Housing Committee in late April.
The property is expected to be cleared by the end of 2026. What replaces it has not been announced.
This article was generated with AI assistance.